Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

This is Where I leave You - I just can't put it down....

Let me start by saying how much I love to read. I was never a book worm in high school or college. In fact, I still have one of the books I defaced from 8th grade English. I was dead set on burrowing a hole through the book leaving the back and front covers in tact so I could "store" something in there.
Since I got my kindle I have been averaging 4 books a month! Most people ask me "where the hell do you find the time". I am not really sure.... I read on the train to and from work which is a nice 40 min in total and before bed I find it helps me to calm down from the day and fall asleep.
A friend recently suggested I read "This is Where I leave You by Jonathon Tropper. He reminds me allot of David Sedaris only his imagery is astounding. The visuals and metaphors he uses make the scene and characters come to life in such an incredible way, I literally feel like I am watching a movie as I read.
I found a particular chapter describing what it feels like to be kicked in the balls as a man, extraordinarily compelling. I mean, as a female it's hard to imagine but man did he make me understand. I actually cringed as I read it and found myself wincing and grabbing at my loins on the train feeling his pain. Now that's good writing.
If you like dark, satirical humor and aren't easily offended, PICK UP THIS BOOK. :)
Check out the reviews on amazon for a more well-rounded view of the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment